Monday, February 6, 2012

For Comfort's Sake - Part 1

Now, the first and most important on the plane accessory you'll need is a good carryon bag. Now, when I say carryon bag I don't mean a small roll along suitcase but a bag or backpack. Do NOT scrimp on your carryon bag. Cheap bags will have to be continuously replaced or repaired. There are two websites I use to get great carryon bags. There's eBags. They have a great selection of bags and backpacks. They also have a fantastic selection of luggage in all of the best brands. The plus side of eBags, there are often great sales and discounts. I dig eBags but my all time favorite is Magellans. This website has everything you need for a comfort filled fantastic travel experience. The products are not cheap, but you get quality and if there's an issue with anything you purchase, they have an excellent return policy. When choosing your bag you want to ensure 3 things, well constructed, sufficient pockets to organize, can it fit easily under the seat. I like to have my carryon under the seat in front of me, that way everything you need is easily accessible without making trips to the overhead bin. If you have long legs (I don't have that issue...) you will stow your bag in the overhead, so make a gallon zipper bag with all the things you need at hand's reach. I call it my "right-nah" (right now) bag. It should have whatever you need to settle in. You can pull your right-nah bag out and drop it on your seat and quickly put your bag overhead. Easy-peasy! I like to have a wheeled tote for my carryon. If you have long layovers or long walks to terminals, carrying a bag on your shoulder or back can becoming an issue, especially if you travel often. A rolling tote is smaller than a rolling suitcase and usually fits easily under the seat.












Your carryon bag should contain the things you need for use on the plane and layovers. Any medication you will need while traveling, plus a little extra. With medication you have to plan for and mishaps that can happen because of lost or late luggage. The remaining medication for your trip can go into your luggage. A tip on medication, for carryon, I put my pills into a pill organizer. They take up less space. I take a picture of the bottle's prescription labels on my mobile phone in the event there are questions in customs. You can purchase pill organizers at most pharmacies. You need to keep hydrated when you travel. Airports and especially airplanes with the dry recirculated air cause dehydration. With the pain in the butt liquid laws that exist around the world the price of bottled water has increased. Also, you have to throw away that expensive bottle of water every time you hit a new security checkpoint. The best thing to do is carry your own bottle. Several companies make water purification bottles where ordinary tap water can be used and filtered to make it clean and completely safe for drinking. If you look at the description on almost all bottle water, you're drinking purified water. Don't be fooled by the whole "spring" thing!! One more thing that truly is a must for flying, especially if you're going to be on a plane for 3 or more hours are compression socks. A lot of people think that travel socks are all hype, but I can tell you from personal experience, they are very necessary. DVT, deep vein thrombosis is a very real and very dangerous thing. Severe leg swelling can occur from sitting with hanging, bent legs for long periods of time and this can cause a blood clot in the legs which can travel to your lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism, which can kill you. Aren't some ugly tight socks better than death?? Magellan actually has a line of more fashionable compression socks if you care about that sort of thing.












Another thing that can help with avoiding DVT is a foot rest. Most airlines only have foot rests in Economy Extra, Business & First Class. You can travel with your own. In the world of blow up travel accessories there is a great inflatable foot rest. It's extra comfy and easily stores in your carryon.




The last 2 things in Part 1, to me, are also necessities. A pillow and blanket. Those little awful pillows that are offered on most planes are of no use for supporting your head. Also, I really don't trust the cleanliness of the pillows or blankets on planes. Some airlines give you a blanket sealed in plastic which are safe enough, but too often I've found long hairs embedded in the fibers of a blanket that do not match my black curls! Yuck!!! Now the little dinky pillow can actually serve a decent purpose, lumbar support. Your choice of pillow is up to you. Some people find the inflatable collars perfectly comfortable and there are a lot of different models to suit your level of comfort. Bucky makes, by far, one of the best and easiest inflatable pillows called Gusto. It's ergonomic shape is a huge plus and it has a touch button to inflate, deflate and adjust the air. (first picture below)












I prefer a travel pillow with a bit more extra special comfort. I'm a bit spoiled and after all, I travel A LOT! I like the Bucky Mini. It's a millet hull filled super, super soft, yet supportive neck pillow that's still small enough to fit in the the carryon or it can clip to the outside of your bag.




Now for travel blankets, there are a great deal to choose from. Find one cosy that's a good length and weight for you and that easily fits into your carryon.
In Part 2 I'll give you some tips on other carryon bits ad bobs that I use to make my travel life a bit easier.
I wish you, enough
JetsettingDiva...out!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS SOME GOOD TIPS, COMPRESSION SOCKS ARE WONDERFUL FOR TRAVELING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the mistake of flying from Brazil to Europe without them. When I landed in Oslo, my feet and legs were numb and swollen like elephant legs for 2 days!!! I have not made that mistake again! Thanks for checking out my blog!! Tell your friends!

      Delete